Tuesday, February 23, 2016

What I plan to explain in my paper is the unknown facts behind 9/11 and its connection to cancer. Many of the first responders on the day continued to work the cleanup at ground zero and had breathed in toxins from the polluted air. Various forms of cancer have been linked to the event, especially mesothelioma. I want to explain this conflict in detail and bring awareness that heroic police officers and firefighters are still suffering from the tragedy. I have picked three sources to cite in my paper: an article from The New York Times, the website WTC-Illness.com, and an article from City Lab.
My first source from the New York Times is an article which talks about the issue of air masks and the lack of there use at ground zero. It explains how there had not been enough masks supplied to the workers and how there had been no instruction on there use. I plan to include this information in my essay as well as the mentioning the the air had been publicly declared as safe even though there was no evidence behind it.
My second source is the WTC-Illness.com website as it is an official website geared for the victims which informs and leads them toward legal guidance. It lists official cancers offered compensation and also gives specific detail about the Zadroga Act and what it covers. I Plan to discuss the Zadroga Act in my essay as it was a key development in accepting that 9/11 responders are developing cancer from previous years work at ground zero, and the government owes them some compensation.
My third source is an article from City Lab which stems from The Atlantic. This article serves as an overall view on the subject linking 9/11 to cancer. This article explains a lot about the consistency of the toxic air at ground zero and how it affecting workers years later. I plan to use the information about the air toxins and cancer in my essay.

No comments:

Post a Comment